About Community Medicine
Community Medicine ( Preventive and social medicine) , a branch of medicine that deals with the prevention of diseases and promotion of Health. The goal of the teaching in community medicine to medical students is to prepare them as a competent, knowledgeable and skillful community and first level physicians.
The department was established since inception of Medical College Bhavnagar in the year 1995. Dr. (Major) A.R.N. Setalvad was first Professor & Head of the department.
Main Deliverables of Department
- Community medicine teaching, training and assessment of Undergraduate (MBBS) and postgraduate (MD and Diploma) students
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics resource center for faculty and students of government medical college, bhavnagar
- Capacity building of Health personnel- Faculty members are resource persons for training on Prevention and control of vector borne diseases, Immunization Management, Cold chain system, Prevention and control of Non communicable diseases, Integrated management of neonatal and childhood illness (IMNCI), Field Epidemiology training programme, Reserch methodology and Medical education technology (MET) programmes for faculty development.
- Rapid response team (RRT) – Investigation and containmnet of disease outbreaks
- Regional monitoring team (RMT) for Bhavnagar municipal corporation,Bhavnagar & Amreli district - To conduct monitoring & supportive supervision of maternal ,child and adolescent health services
- Death audit: Medical Audit for deaths caused by H1N1 ( Swine flu) and maternal deaths
- Designated training center for Facility - Integrated management of neonatal and childhood illness (FIMNCI) training for medical officers and staff nurse
- Integrated disease surveillance project (IDSP) unit of Sir Takhtsinhji hospital, Bhavnagar
- Observation and celebration of various health days for community sensitization on promotion of health and prevention of diseases
- Total 23 research publications in state and national journals and Total 11 research publications in international journals has been published by faculty members since January 2015.
- Problem solving for Better Health ( PSBH) Projects: Activity to sensitize MBBS students regarding basic research methodology and conduct of research project by all MBBS students
- ICMR Short term studentship projects - Three projects have been guided by Dr Atul Trivedi (one) & Dr Mihir Rupani (02) since 2017.
- Ongoing Research projects: Dr Mihir Rupani- Standards of Tuberculosis care in bhavnagar: cross sectional study on knowledge and practice among private practitioners ( RNTCP) and Association of catastrophic health costs on failure to complete treatment among tuberculosis patients ( American Thoracic society )
11. Outreach health services affiliated with the department:
- Urban heath training center
|Address||Sir Jaswantsinhji Dispensary ,Ghogha gate Bhavnagar|
- Rural health training center