Department was established in 1995 in old building in sir takhtsinhji hospital campus with annual intake capacity of 50 students. In March 2000 department was shifted to newly construct spacious college building near state transport depot. Department is located on fourth floor and has infrastructure adequate to cater the need of 150 admissions per year. In the academic year 2006-07 with permission of medical council of india intake capacity is raised to 100 students per year. Department also participate in teaching laboratory methods in Microbiology to students of medical laboratory technicians training course run by directorate of medical education and research, govt. of gujarat for inservice and outside candidates over and above undergraduate course leading to m.b.b.s. degree Department wishes to start postgraduate (m. d.) course in subject of Microbiology and expect inspection from medical council of india in october 2006 Govt. of gujarat has decided to apply to central government to raise undergraduate admission capacity to 150 from academic year 2007-08.
Head of the Department
|Academic Year||Head of the Department|
|Sept 1996 - 30 Dec,96||DR. H.H Agrawat|
|24 Apr,1997 - 27 Aug,97||Mr. M.B Asnani|
|28 Aug,1997 - 25 Aug,98||DR.M.B Shah|
|26 May,1998 - 20 July,02||DR. S.B Saxena|
|21 July,02 - 17 Aug,08||DR. N. I. Shah|
|18 Aug,08 - 7 Dec,09||DR. P.K Shah|
|12 Feb,10 - 05 Apr. 10||DR. T.B Javdekar|
|06 Apr. 10 - 12 Nov. 10||DR. K. J. Desai|
|13 Nov. 10 - 22 Jul. 11||DR. N. I. Shah|
|23 Jul. 11 - Till Date||DR. K. J. Desai|
The whole college was constructed with keeping in mind the idea of increasing undergraduate admission strength in future to 150. so as mentioned below department has enough space to accommodate 150 students.
- Department has dedicated broadband connection with membership to govt. of gujarat virtual library project through which hundreds of journals and books are accessible online
- Department has dedicated fulltime faculties (as private practice of any kind is not permissible as per recruitment rules of govt.of gujarat).department has adequate number of teaching faculties as per medical council of india guidelines to maintain teacher:student ratio to 1:10.
- Offices for teaching and paramedical staff
- Department has dedicated fulltime faculties
- Laboratory As per NABL noms
- AFB Laboratory
- Advance microbiology