The Obstetrics & Gynaecology(OBGY) department of Sir Takhatsinhji hospital, Government Medical College of Bhavnagar was established in year 1997.
The department provides comprehensive Maternal and Child Health services as well as caters to gynecological issues
To begin with, the department was limited to the Gopnath Maternity Home(GMH), a separate building in Sir Takhatsinhji hospital campus wherein all services (obstetric, gynecological, family planning and neonatal care) were provided.
In the year 2007, OBGY department along with its outpatient department (OPD) were shifted to the new OPD building while Obstetrics & NICU services were delivered in GMH.
In the year 2006, Masters degree(MD) courses in obstetrics & gynecology were started which were recongnised by the Medical Council of India (MCI) in the year 2009 with permission to an annual intake of 2 candidates
In the year 2007, diploma courses in obstetrics & gynecology were started which were recognised by the MCI in the year 2010 with permission to an annual intake of 1 candidate
- Department is providing all services under nationalized programmes under RCH, FW & NRHM pertaining to maternal and child health.
- Out patient/ office procedures like cancer screening, biopsies and colposcopy.
- Antenatal and gynaecological ultrasound and doppler
- The depatment has facilities for all major gynaecological operations, including open, vaginal and laproscopic hysterectomies, laprotomy, infertility surgeries, diagnostic and operative hysteroscopy, open and laproscopic tubal ligation, sling operations, tubal recanalisations, vaginoplasty, and minor preocedures like dilatation and curattage, dialatation and evacuation, cervical os tightening, MTP, etc.
- Camp activities like family planning camps, cancer screening tests, antenatal camps.
- Adolescent health preogrammes at various colleges, schools.
- Basic Emergency Obstetric Care (BEmOC) training center
- Skill Birth Attendent (SBA) training center