Department was established in 1995 in old building in sir takhtasinhji hospital campus with annual intake capacity of 50 students. In march 2000 department was shifted to newly constructed spacious college building near state transport depot. Department is located on fourth floor. In the academic year 2006-07 with permission of medical council of india intake capacity is raised to 100 students per year. In the academic year 2012-13 with permission of medical council of india intake capacity is raised to 150 students per year.
Department also participate in teaching laboratory methods in physiology to students of medical laboratory technicians training course run by directorate of medical education and research, Govt. of Gujarat for in-service and outside candidates. Department was also permitted to start post graduate (MD) course in Physiology with intake capacity of 4 candidates per year w.e.f. 2007 which was recognized by MCI in 2010. In the same year department was permitted to increase 1 post graduate seat each under professor and additional professor. Accordingly dept. gave admission to 5 candidates in the year 2010 and 6 candidates from the year 2011.
Head of the Department
||Head of the Department
|19-7-95 to 15-7-96
||DR. N. P. GOPINATH
|15-7-96 to 18-2-97
Department is well equipped to carry out research activity in various areas and following research laboratories are available in the department like
- Cardiovascular laboratory: With impedance cardiograph (NIVOMON from L & T) for measurement of Cardiac output, IPG and OIPG, VERSADOP from Diabetic footcare, Chennai for measurement of ABPI, Mobil-O Graph from Germany for PWA(in pipeline)
- Respiratory Laboratory with sleep lab : With peak flowmeter, computerized spirometry and Diffusion capacity apparatus(in pipeline)
- Exercise physiology laboratory: with TMT and Bicycle ergograph,
- Electrophysiology laboratory : with (a) EMG, NCV and Visual and Auditory Evoked potential recording (b) EEG , RT and Biofeedback(Pulse, GSR, Temperature, Alpha, Respiration)
- Autonomic function laboratory : with CAN 504 from diabetic foot care chennai for measurement of cardiac autonomic functions , VARIOVIN from genesis, Hyderabad for measurement of Heart Rate Variability etc
- Computerised physiograph laboratory : with 10 digital physiograph for recording of spirometry. HRV. ECG. ENG, EMG. Pulse, Temperature, Respiration, GSR, STI , Phonocardiogram etc
- Experimental physiology laboratory : with facility for amphibian and mammalian experiments with respirator, extended kymograph, operation tables, orga
Best paper award
Dr. Chinmay shah. asst. prof received best paper award at appi ahmedabad conferance assessment of obesity in the school children.
MR. Kalpesh Mehta and Mr. Bhavik Langnecha received first prize in mediquize 2002 at 1st national level conference of APPI held at surat.
This department has extra activity.